Re: USB Hard Drive Enclosures

 I have bought several such enclosures over the years but never in 2.5" size.
I am sorry that I can't remember enough to name all the names at the moment
but I am sharing my experience anyway.

- I have a NetDisk-brand 3.5" enclosure with hard drive included, bought
second hand from a friend. This enclosure has an aluminum exterior and has
stood the test of time. It includes a USB port, maybe a firewire port, and
also an ethernet port on which it runs some kind of non-NFS, non-SMB file
sharing (client driver required). I am happy with this device.

- I have a 5.25" firewire enclosure I bought for an IDE DVD drive, and the
exterior BROKE WHILE I WAS ASSEMBLING IT for the first time! Critical parts
of the device are made of the same brittle translucent plastic they make
CD/DVD jewel cases from. Ugh! (I don't remember the name of this device.)

- I have two 3.5" USB/firewire enclosures for hard disks that I got from
TigerDirect. The exterior of these are made up entirely from two molded
pieces of brittle opaque plastic and ONE OF THEM BROKE WHILE I WAS
ASSEMBLING IT. (Again I don't remember the name of this model.)

All of my external cases are functioning, and the broken ones are held
together with the universal problem-solver, Duct Tape. I think the take-home
lesson here is: watch out for external disk enclosures made from brittle
plastic. Anything with an all-metal exterior will probably last longer.

On 11/25/07, Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've got a 20GB HD I pulled from a retired laptop. There are a lot of
> USB enclosures such as Diablotek 2.5" USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
> Enclosure with One Touch Backup at Tiger Direct ($9.99 less $10.00 mail
> in rebate). A 20G is not really an ideal backup size these days, but I
> would otherwise need to wipe the drive.
>
> Any recommendations good or bad.

believed to be clean.