Charging my iPod

 While I know that this question doesn't really belong on a LUG mailing list,
I realize a few of you guys have some electronic / electrical expertise and
this was the first place I thought to look. Since it's Friday night, and I'm
waiting for people to come over, I took some time to replace my
(hand-me-down) iPod's battery, first so I can charge it and secondly so I
can put Linux (ok, so maybe this e-mail is Linux related :) and/or Rockbox
on it. However, when I went to open the Griffin PowerDuo charger I'd bought,
I realized that the "Power Block" that is included (also known as a wall
charger) simply has a female USB port on it, which I assume supplies power
over the included USB-to-iPod cable.

Since I've just installed this battery, I want to make sure that I charge it
correctly and fully the first few times, i.e. not "trickle" charging it. The
instructions that came with the battery specifically indicate that I should
NOT charge it over something like USB (or FireWire?) Here's a quote of the
text on the "Power Block"

GRIFFIN AC POWER SUPPLY
MODEL: 17B061001
INPUT: 100-240V~ 50-60Hz 0.2A
OUTPUT: 5.0V   500mA
FILE NO: E213987
DATE CODE: 06APR
I.T.E. POWER SUPPLY

Can anyone tell me if this is a more high powered charger, or if I use it
will the results be the same as if I charged it over USB? I'm completely
lost on this one, and Griffin undoubtedly won't take support e-mails or
calls over the weekend... and Apple will just hang up the phone on me after
I tell them I've just replaced the battery. I suppose I could tell them I've
just started using this 5 year old iPod... but I doubt they'll even give me
support. Any more questions / comments would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
a bunch!

believed to be clean.