Re: Ripping DVDs ... and MythTV

On Nov 23, 2007, at 12:24, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> I even went so far as to inspect the libdvdread3 code about five
> minutes ago to see how it is all implemented.  After inspecting the
> files, it really seems to indicate that there are in fact two stages.
>
> 1) CSS authentication (to unlock sectors for read accessibility)
> 2) CSS decrytion (to decrypt the titles, chapters, etc)

I swear I wasn't nuts, I've definitely dd'd commercial dvds with css
on 'em in the past... So I tossed a few into my myth box and started
poking too. I believe we were both partially correct and both
partially wrong. :)

You're correct in that css does lock sectors of the disk, so if you
simply insert a dvd and try to dd, it'll at some point. However, if
you insert a dvd, fire up something like xine w/libdvdcss in place,
quit it, *then* do the dd, all is well, as those sectors have been
unlocked.

I've verified this by dd'ing a few of the commercial dvds in my
collection -- prior to xine'ing them, dd fails at some random point,
post-xine, they dd just fine. Thus I'm not crazy, and neither are
you. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
[hidden email]