Re: Ripping DVDs ... and MythTV

 On Nov 21, 2007 11:25 PM, Jarod Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe the above is not quite correct. So far as I know, its only
> arccos that makes dd fail. css is an entirely software-based
> encryption, on top of the data on the disc. dd operates at the block
> device level, css never comes into play. What arccos does is embed
> corrupt blocks of data on the physical media, which is what makes dd
> fail.

Naw dude, the DVD drive hardware locks the disc content until your
software goes through an authentication process with the physical
drive firmware.  This is the very first thing libdvdread does when it
opens a CSS-encrypted video DVD for reading.  It goes through the
authentication process in order for the data to be available.  Jarod,
you have probably never seen the problem before because you have
always run a system which already has the libdvdread package installed
:-)  But back in 1999, all of us Linux geeks knew this stuff too well.
 DVD-John broke it for us...

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System

What I said previously is documented in the wikipedia link you sent
yourself above.  The first step is authentication.  After you get past
that with libdvdread, only then do you get to start descrambling the
content :-)  I encourage you to go grab a copy of Red Hat 6 and see
for yourself if dd dumping a CSS-encrypted DVD was possible!

> Not mentioned are dvdrip (different from lxdvdrip) or handbrake.

handbrake is excellent and I highly recommend it...so is dvd::rip
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen

believed to be clean.