Re: Comparison of BSD vs Linux? (here goes the flame war!)

 On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:30:29 -0500 (EST)
Scott Ehrlich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm in a class at Usenix/Lisa and the instructor is a BSD fan and hates
> Linux.  I'd like to get insight from the list of viewpoints, security,
> comparisons, package availability, etc, of the differences between the
> basic worlds of UNIX-like distros.

There's not more that I can add since others have already chimed in. I
think the guy teaching that class needs a slap on the wrist and should
be a more objective.

There is a difference in lineage as Charlie mentioned:
The BSD family is derived from Berkeley Unix except that in the early
90s it was completely cleanup up from the copyright standpoint.

Linux was written from scratch.

Again, the BSD and Linux families share most of the same utilities, but
philosophies differ. There was a time where BSD was significantly
better on the networking side, but that has changed as Linux has
improved.

We have not had a BSD meeting at the BLU. We could possibly get
someone, maybe Clem Cole, to talk about it. (Or maybe Charlie Bennet
could come down).

--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group