Re: untested backups

 On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 09:29:29AM -0500, Boland, John wrote:
> at my last place, my boss had a motto for backups:
>
> we do backups to do restores, quickly!

That's a good motto.

> all of our daily backups were full, no incrementals.  that's why the
> boss stressed quickly, no hunting through multiple tape logs.  of course
> our tape vendor loved us and so did the off-site storage vendor!

We keep weekly level 0 and daily level 1 dumps on disk --
restoring a single file is easy and our tape vendor is not
so enriched.

(Weekly gets pushed to tape, so we have recovery there, as
well. And anything in production is on multiple systems. And we
do RAID-1 on desktops, because an extra disk is cheaper than
sysadmin time.)

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.
Tyranny is something that creeps up on you.

http://tao.merseine.nu:81/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.

believed to be clean.