Re: RCN net/TV/phone?

 Ward Vandewege wrote:
> They have static IP, but it's $20/month extra.

Which I thought was excessive and out of line with the competition.
(Though since then, business grade FIOS has become available, and it too
has a $20 or more premium for a static IP. But of these are higher than
what most DSL providers charge for static IPs.)

> However, from what I read they do not do any port blocking if you
> have a static IP, and they actually list running a server as one of
> the reasons why you might like a static IP. So I'm guessing that
> servers are OK.

When I talked to them several years ago, they said that servers were not
permitted, even with the static IP offering, which of course doesn't
make much sense.

If you actually depend on the ability to run servers, I'd recommend
making sure that such allowances are covered in the terms of service.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA