Re: RCN net/TV/phone?

 On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 01:43:57PM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
> I know this topic comes around every few months, but now it's my
> turn.
>
> I currently have Comcast TV and net service. It's acceptable, but
> Comcast has been making me unhappy lately.  My other choices for
> high-speed connections are Verizon FIOS and RCN. I like the idea of
> FIOS, but I hate Verizon. That leaves me with... RCN.

I'm moving soon, and am planning to switch from Speakeasy (love them, but
they are just too expensive) to RCN for data. I don't care about TV/phone.
RCN seems to charge $60/month for 20M/2M service; which is about the amount I
pay now for 1.5M/384K service with Speakeasy.

In Speakeasy's defence, I suspect that the reason why they are so expensive
is that the FCC decided a while back that Verizon wholesale can basically
charge whatever they want to competitors for the use of 'their' last mile,
rather than having to charge the same as what Verizon is charged internally.

I fear that I'm (indirectly) giving more money to Verizon by paying Speakeasy
$60/month than I would be if I got Verizon DSL straight up (currently
$30/month for 3M/768K service, double the service I have now).

> I'm looking for comments by current subscribers on:
>
> - port blocking
> - availability of a static IP

They have static IP, but it's $20/month extra. However, from what I read they
do not do any port blocking if you have a static IP, and they actually list
running a server as one of the reasons why you might like a static IP. So I'm
guessing that servers are OK.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Pong.be         -( "In my opinion M$ is a lot better at making money than  )-
Virtual hosting -(    it is at making good operating systems." -- Linus    )-

believed to be clean.