how to present online lectures

 Daniel Feenberg wrote:
> What would you suggest to make lectures available via the web, where
> the video of the speaker can be fairly small, but a larger slide show
> should be visible in a separate window, syncronized with the speaker?
> We have the video and the slide show, but are at a loss as to how to
> combine them.

We talked briefly about this same issue a while back when discussing how
to simulcast live BLU meetings online. I don't think anyone offered any
solutions specifically tailored to this problem. (Check the archives.)

Years ago Real Media came out with a SGML-derived markup for creating
multimedia presentations where, with a bit of text editing, you could
combine still images (slides) and audio, and it would play back in the
Real Media movie player like a movie. I'm not sure if you could blend
video into that mix. And besides, this format never seemed to take off.

You could always combine the two on an HTML page, but the trick would be
maintaining sync and permitting navigation (jump forward/back in time).
I'm not sure how you could extract time queues from the video to drive
the slide changes, but perhaps one of the embeddable video players
provide JavaScript events.

Undoubtedly this could be accomplished with a Flash application.

Though probably the simplest, if not ideal (due to image quality and
disk space/bandwidth requirements), would be to overlay the video on top
of the slides (thumbnail in the corner) and composite the two into a
video stream using one of the video editing tools.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA