Re: New York Times advertisement for Ubuntu

 > I'm not sure I feel the same about donating for an Ubuntu advertisement
> as I would towards Mozilla. Unlike Mozilla, Ubuntu has both a wealthy
> benefactor and a fairly well visible support corporation, either of
> which could take the lead in doing their own marketing.

Do you honestly think they're going to do any marketing at the moment?
No, as rich as Mark may be he doesn't seem willing at the moment to go
into any marketing in the USA; perhaps he's working some marketing in
the UK or Euro zone I don't know, but if the community wants adverts
then the community can stop living the dream that money falls from
generous pockets to pay large bills.

> Remember how Debian ran into problems when money came into play with
> some developers getting paid to work on Debian, which ticked off the
> volunteers. While I don't think twice about Ubuntu's corporate backing
> when it comes to contributing to the code, I would hesitate before
> contributing cash to a far more indirect benefit, like marketing.

The Debian problem was not money as such, it was that funds were
directed to people who normally volunteered by individual people. The
community had no say over the matter and could not deliberate on any
of the issues.

In my group at least we have money sitting in a pot waiting to be
spent on LoCo activities that can push Ubuntu in our state or in a
country wide effort. I've not had anybody moaning about how we spend
the money since people can come to meetings where we'd vote on such
issues.

> I sent the message to the ubuntu-marketing list, so they were the
> intended recipients...

Good idea, let them know just incase they want to co-ordinate.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

believed to be clean.