Re: New York Times advertisement for Ubuntu

 Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> I put this together...what do you guys think?
> We really need to have a New York Times advertisement.  It worked for
> Firefox and you will find my name (and 10,000 others) on the first
> advertisement shown below...

I'm not sure I feel the same about donating for an Ubuntu advertisement
as I would towards Mozilla. Unlike Mozilla, Ubuntu has both a wealthy
benefactor and a fairly well visible support corporation, either of
which could take the lead in doing their own marketing.

Remember how Debian ran into problems when money came into play with
some developers getting paid to work on Debian, which ticked off the
volunteers. While I don't think twice about Ubuntu's corporate backing
when it comes to contributing to the code, I would hesitate before
contributing cash to a far more indirect benefit, like marketing.

> ...if anyone could speak with the Mozilla team to find out how they
> did it...please contact them.

If you're taking the lead on this idea, I think that person should be
you, unless you can find someone that already has inside contacts at
Mozilla.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro