NVidia cards (was Re: I think I'm ready to give up on x86_64)

 David Kramer wrote:

> Perhaps I should find a better-supported video card. I thought this one
> was, but further research (and empirical testing) shows that not to be
> the case.  Can someone recommend a well-supported NVidia PCI-E X16 card
> with a decent amount of memory?  I'm not above throwing money at it, if
> I know the card will work for sure.

Pretty much any 7000-series NVidia card should be well supported by any
reasonably recent Linux distribution, in 2D out of the box and in
accelerated 3D with the proprietary NVidia driver installed. Cards with
as much as 512MB of RAM are readily available and not even horribly
expensive. Choose according to price and performance preference.

8000-series cards are more problematic with Linux, because they are new
and the drivers aren't mature yet; that's the problem you had with your
8600. (They can be convinced to work, but not out of the box.)
Furthermore, 8000-series cards other than the 8800 don't have any
compelling advantage for Linux use right now; they're not really any
faster than the corresponding 7000-series cards, and Linux can't use the
additional features (DirectX 10 support and hardware HD video decoding)
yet. The 8800 has a bit more appeal, because it's faster than any
7000-series card; a single 8800GTX is about equal to an SLI pair of 7900s.

believed to be clean.