Re: I think I'm ready to give up on x86_64

 On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 07:56:13 -0400
Nathan Meyers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 64 bits also places higher demands on the
> system: more bits to sling around the bus and greater load on the heap
> from the larger words. Unless you need that address space, moving to 64
> bits is pure downside.

The incremental load on the bus is small if anything since it is
designed for 64 bits. Why is there an extra load on the heap. The heap
would be allocated on a 64-bit boundary, but malloc will allocate what
you need. But, yes, because of boundary conditions, structures are
aligned on 64-bit boundaries. So, your code may use some extra memory.
On the upside, as I mentioned there are 16 64-bit registers. While this
means saving more registers on context switches, it can mean better
performance.

I've been working with 64-bit systems since 1994 (Digital Alpha/ Tru64
Unix, as well as x86-64 and IA64). There are some cases where 32-bit
applications run better in a 32-bit environment, and there are some
cases where applications run better in 64-bits. I have also seen cases
where 32-bit apps run better on a 64-bit OS even though they are 32-bit
apps. Because of the larger register size, 64-bit linear address space,
the OS in general runs better in 64-bits, and Linux has had a 64-bit
native OS since 1996. Remember that the paging hardware is also
64-bits.

--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group