Re: I think I'm ready to give up on x86_64

 Nathan Meyers wrote:

> J2EE works fine on 64-bit. The only Java libraries that need 32- and
> 64-bit versions are those with underlying dependencies on the native
> word lengths. J2SE defines the fundamental data types and object
> addressing, so it naturally needs different versions. Pure-Java
> libraries, like J2EE, shouldn't need different versions.

...But I couldn't even install it.  I think what it was missing was
libstdc++.5.s0, when my system had .6.so.  I found a compat rpm with
.5.so, but it was 64 bit, so even after I installed it, and ran ldconfig
for good measure, it still gave the same error.

Ugh Using kyum, I found a i386 version, but when I tried to install it
it said the repository checksum doesn't match, and to choose another
mirror, which you can't do in kyum.  I exited kyum and tried to do it
with yum, but the instance of yum that kyum started is still running.
kyum didn't clean up its children before exiting.

OK, so now I have it installed. When I run the
java_ee_sdk-5_03_linux.bin, I get "*** glibc detected ***" and
"malloc(): memory corruption", followed by a memory map.  Then it says
"Deleting temporary files" and it hung there.  I had to kill -9 it.

I hate this crap.