RE: Time Warner cable

 how can nat be detected?
would you have to inspect the packet contents?

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
Of Matthew Gillen
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 9:30 AM
To: Tom Haskins-Vaughan
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Time Warner cable

Tom Haskins-Vaughan wrote:
> Hi, I'm moving to a new house in Great Barrington next week and I'm
> trying to work out which internet provider to use. Time Warner is the
> cable provider and the price seems acceptable (more than I'd like to
> pay but comparable to Verizon DSL) but I came across this in their
FAQs:

> Q: Can I have more than one computer connected to the Road Runner
modem?
> A: Yes. However, if you wish to use multiple computers simultaneously
> with the Road Runner service, you will be assessed a monthly fee for
> each additional computer.
>
> So, my question's are:
>
> How will they know if I use more than one computer?

If more than one concurrent dhcp lease is attempted from your modem.
There are supposedly ways to detect when NAT is being done, but they
almost certainly don't use them (and even if they did, it's not wise to
piss off the technically proficient customers, since they will be the
loudest word-of-mouth voices, for good or bad).

> What is a computer? Does my SlimDevices Squeezebox count?

Probably anything that needs an IP address.  I haven't read TW's EULA
though.

> Is this fair?

If you can set up a NAT box, or have a little router that can do NAT,
you should be fine to just pay for one IP address, and do your own DHCP
on your internal net.  Just don't have a dhcp server that will serve
addresses out the wrong line (ie the one connected to the modem) or they
get pretty mad at you.

Matt

believed to be clean.