Re: What to do with old computers?

 > Why not donate them to a school or library?

Story:

Several years back I tried to help my town. They were trying to wire the
middle school for the internet. At the time I was a CTO at a dotcom
startup and had some resources and connections.

I went to the technology meeting and heard what they wanted, basically
wire the rooms and what ever. To most of us, a no brainer.

I said, hey, listen, I have connections with a bunch of companies and I
can get what ever equipment we need as a donation from the constant
upgrade cycle. I can get some friends of mine from IBEW to do the wiring,
and I'll buy the wire.

You know what? They declined my offer. They didn't even return my follow
up emails.

So, if you *really* know of a school or library that will take old
computers, I'd be glad too donate them, but I suspect they won't take
them.