Re: Ubuntu Gutsy good?

 udev is the unspecified device manager which creates /dev nodes, does
script running and various other tasks when dealing with devices which
have just been plugged in. it's what HAL uses as it's back end and
it's what auto mounts drives that you plug in as well as adding
modules as required.

So it's pretty important, although it shouldn't be taking more than
20-40MB of ram really.