Dell Optiplex On the side of the road

 If you are not interested in reading a Microsoft rant, skip this message.

OK, I'm driving down the road, and you know how people leave things on the
sidewalks that they no longer want, hoping that people will take them?
Well, most of us are probably scroungers I suspect, so you'll understand
that I was a little curious about a fairly new looking machine out on the
side of the road.

I couldn't resist.

I picked it up, I took a look at it, it looked fine, had 512M RAM, hard
disk, Intel P4. OK, what's the problem?

I took it home, hooked it up to a power, monitor, and keyboard and tried
to boot it.

Windows XP was SLOW SLOW SLOW, the thing was unusable. It was so loaded
with stuff, it took 5 minutes to get to the point where you could actually
do something, albeit slowly.

Well, I have no interest in XP anyway, but it passed the smoke test, and
seemed to work. I installed Kubuntu on it, and it is a good solid usable
machine. Plays DVDs with no skips, it works fine.

OK, maybe it was old and the person discarding it just wanted a new and
faster computer, but I can't help but think that this is yet another
ancillary cost of Microsoft Windows. It costs you up front to get it, it
costs you regularly in lost productivity, and it costs you at the end
because a perfectly fine system becomes unusable and prematurely obsolete.

Beyond the cost to the consumer, obsolete computers are a trash/recycling
nightmare.

believed to be clean.