Re: cpu frequency stepper in Xubuntu

 If all else fails, you can use the gnome-applet plugin on the XFCE bar. Try
and see if your distribution packages this piece of software:

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-xfapplet-plugin

or otherwise, build it yourself. A few Ubuntu releases ago, I found the
gnome applet to be the most handy (allow stepping based on a priority or by
speed). Kristian is spot on with the dpkg-reconfigure command which will
allow this applet to actually modify your stepping (as root).