Re: filesystem corruption

 On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Tom Metro wrote:

> I'd recommend installing smartmontools:
> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Thanks; I'll take a look.

> to monitor the health of your drive(s). If you are already experiencing file
> system corruption, I'd also recommend finding a non-destructive disk testing
> tool and running that.

Okay; that could be useful.  Does anyone have a recommendation for such a
program?

I did run memtest86 overnight one time, and it didn't seem to find any
errors, although I didn't really know what I was doing and only looked at
the error count on the screen rather than going into the error summary;
I'm not sure if the displayed error count gets reset at the beginning of
the pass.  Perhaps I should run it again.  I had a pci card without a
screw securing it, and I think that that was responsible for some general
instability for a while; I'm not sure if that could have affected the hard
disk.

Fwiw, I figured out how to get rid of the directories in lost+found.  All
three of them had the 'a' attribute set, which meant that they could only
be opened for writing in append mode.  (They also had several other
attributes set for which there was no reason other than corruption).  I
could delete them after running chattr -a on them.

Thanks,
-Mike G-

believed to be clean.