Re: File sizes

 Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> The bios can affect the largest file you can store indirectly.  Think
> about if you have a raid array over 2TB. Can a standard bios handle
> this "drive"?  I ran into such a scenario recently...

I suppose if you're using hardware-RAID, then you're stuck with block devices
that are limited in size.  But there's no reason you can't LVM a bunch of them
together to make a big logical block device, and then put your file-system on
that.  So the real limits are really only dependent on your kernel (how many
bits are in an off_t) and your file-system type (and implicitly, the size of
the biggest block device you can get).

If I understand the situation you're talking about correctly, your problem is
slightly different, in that you had hardware that was incompatible with each
other: the hard-drives were too big for controller, and so you were
potentially wasting space on the drives.  But wasting capacity (or not being
able to build a block device big enough) isn't quite the same as some hard
limit on the file size, since you can always add more drives with LVM.

Matt

believed to be clean.