Re: File sizes

 On Oct 16, 2007, at 10:54, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> What is the maximum file size permitted by Linux?

Can't recall anymore, but Really Big.

> That is obviously a generic question -
>
> - There is likely a BIOS limitation

Not sure if it any system BIOS limitations might exists, but storage
controller firmware limitations are certainly a possibility.

> - 32 vs 64 bit

Yeah, that definitely makes a difference...

> - How about EXT2 vs EXT3?

I believe they support the same max file size, which is a relatively
paltry 2TB (definitely the case on ext3). XFS supports much larger
files, not sure how large though. Max I've tried on XFS is 16TB,
which it handles w/o a complaint. Brief poking suggests 16TB is the
upper limit on a 32-bit system, while its 8 exabytes on a 64-bit system.

--
Jarod Wilson
[hidden email]