Re: the dream machine

 David Kramer wrote:

> I will say that out of the technologies out there that I've heard are
> *not* worth it, are the 1333 front side bus (something like 6%
> improvement, and 1333 is a bit of a math lie anyway), and DDR3 memory.

I think where the 1333 FSB might buy you something is in application
mixes where the cores on one die need to talk to the cores on the other
die a lot; that communication would actually get to take advantage of
the full FSB speed. And it's why pushing the FSB faster and faster is a
much higher priority for Intel than for AMD, as the communications
between the cores on AMD's chips don't use the FSB. There isn't any RAM
currently available that is fast enough to even get close to using that
bus speed fully.

As for DDR3, you're right; no advantage for a desktop PC at present, and
a lot of extra expense, especially since most available RAM isn't fast
enough to saturate the capabilities of DDR2 yet. DDR3 will have its day,
and may already be having it on high-end video cards, but mostly that
day isn't here yet.

believed to be clean.