Re: dump/restore and external hard drive

 By default, dump wants to write to a tape device, e.g. /dev/st0.
To dump to the external disk, you used the -f option to indicate
the file to write to, correct? I.e.

    dump -0f /media/BigDisk/dumpfile-level0
    dump -9f /media/BigDisk/dumpfile-level9

So your BigDisk contains two files, dumpfile-level0 and
dumpfile-level9, each containing the corresponding dump image.

To restore from this, you'd first restore from the level 0 image,
and then restore from the level 9 image on top of the already
restored level 0 files. I.e.

    restore -f /media/BigDisk/dumpfile-level0
    restore -f /media/BigDisk/dumpfile-level9

If you're only restoring a subset of files, and you know in
advance that everything you want to restore is entirely
within one of the dump images, you can restore just from
that one image; otherwise, you want to restore the identical
subset from both dump images, starting with the level 0
image and overlaying with the level 9 image.