dump/restore and external hard drive

 I've got a 1 TB external hard drive that I performed a level 0 dump to,
with compression, then a subsequent backup at normal level  (9?).

I attempted to at least view the dump with restore, and keep getting a
/dev/tape isn't found.

If I want to perform a reliable backup to any medium, in this case an
external hard drive, I want to reliably be able to view and access the
contents.   I reviewed  restore's man page but nothing was very obvious.

I could just as easily tar the directory of choice to back up then gzip
it, but incrementals would obviously be helpful in catching only changes
and saving space, and having several tar balls can add up quickly, unless
I offload them to DVD...

Insights/ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Scott