Re: Fwd: btrfs?

 On 10/2/07, Eugene Gorelik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very interesting....
>
> Do you know how does B+ tree re-balance when node is added or removed
> and how does it make sure that tree is balanced ?

I probably could have written you a long paper on the subject when I
was in college, but nowadays I find myself uninterested in data
structures and algorithms.  I really enjoy computer science topics in
security and the intermixing of control and user data in various
systems.  If you think about it, most of the "hacks" of this century
have been where this is the case.  For instance...

1955 -- 2600 Hz (blue box), the "control" sequence to allow remote
access to seize phone trunk, which falls in the same frequency band of
the human voice, ie "user".
19?? -- Red Boxing is the "control" sequence to mimic coin input on
pay phones to make free phone calls.  The input was allowed via the
ear-piece from "user".
1988 -- buffer overflow in fingerd allows "user" input to become
"control" data for the finger process.
1998 -- rfp makes SQL injection popular, noticing that many
applications append "user" input to create a "control" sequence for
accessing the back-end databases.
1999 -- format string functions exploited via "user" text input, which
gave "control" to attackers wanting to read/write arbitrary data using
functions such as *printf.
20xx -- XSS, CSRF, etc allow "user" data to be injected as "control"
data for generating web content.
20?? -- ... insert your next user/control issue that will occur in the
future :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen

believed to be clean.