From: Kristian Hermansen <[hidden email]>
Date: Jul 24, 2007 1:15 AM
Subject: btrfs?
To: Roger Osmond <[hidden email]>

Hey Roger,

Have you heard about btrfs (b-tree file system) yet?

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/12/242
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/btrfs/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

Also, my talk at the conference went almost too well!!!  I am still in
shock.  Before the talk, I was introduced by a senior Canonical
employee (commercial-arm of Ubuntu) with the quote that "this is going
to be the most interesting topic you will hear".  (I think this was
said due to the fact that Dell is having internal problems cloning
their Linux machines with Ghost, and that Clonezilla may be a viable
alternative).  I was almost crapping my pants as I walked up to the
stage to take the microphone, because I didn't expect him to say that.
 I was placed as the first spot after lunch following the keynote
speakers on the main stage (Tim O'Reilly), which I am told is a great
spot to be :-)  So it went, I had my talk, and I was quite nervous at
first, but apparently no one could tell.  Magically, I somehow
finished the last slide with exactly 5 minutes left, thanks to your
algorithm of 2 minutes per slide!!!  I took a few great questions from
the audience, and after the talk, some of us got together and
conversed about new ways to make the software better.

Surprisingly, immediately after the talk, I received a great round of
applause and was met by an Ubuntu employee who told me my talk was
"incredible" and that I should seriously consider applying to work for
Canonical (Ubuntu).  That was the second time I crapped my pants.  The
third time I crapped my pants was when another Canonical employee gave
me his card after the talk and asked me if I would be interested in
speaking with them about employment.  That's about as good a sign as
one can get I would think.  So, somehow despite all my anxiety, it
played out quite well and no one has realized yet that I have got them
all fooled!  I guess I will just have to keep that going for a long
long time then :-)

In addition to this, throughout the conference I was able to meet many
interesting people, including Maddog Hall, whom was really nice to me
and we had a long conversation preceding another talk.  I am friends
with a guy who goes to Northeastern, and Maddog was the one that got
him into programming.  Now my friend is a recognized open source
developer with his code in many distribution repositories.  There were
many other bright minds attending, of course, in addition to Maddog.

Really, I want to thank you for all the tips and suggestions you have
given so far.  Without them, I would not have arrived at where I am
right now, with all of the opportunities that are available to me
(Stratus/Red Hat, Google, FOX, Canonical/Ubuntu, Mu Security).  It
would be naive to think that I will never have a more important choice
to make than the one I am making in the next 6 weeks to move to
California, but it feels pretty damn big.  If I work for Canonical, I
can live anywhere and work from home, except when there are developer
summits and the like where people need to interact directly.  It would
be a great thing!  But Google has deep pockets.  Alas, I don't know
what to do!?!?!  So, I am almost too giddy and happy right now to
express.  My body feels as though a shot of adrenaline has been pumped
inside of me and has lasted all day long.  I can't explain this
feeling.  It is, in fact, incredible...
--
Kristian Hermansen

--