Re: quad cores?

 Stephen Adler wrote:
> The reason I ask is not so much if SMP is supported or not, but all the
> crazy bridge bus chip sets, and interrupt controller chip sets etc. etc.
> When I got my Intel based Core 2 Duo system, (i.e. intel motherboard)
> there was an issue with the current version of the kernel and lack of
> support due to some chip set issue... I can't remember how I dealt with
> it, (some odd boot parameter option or something like that.) Has anyone
> had any experience using a core 2 quad? Is it worth the extra money?

The motherboard chip set could be an issue, though it's a separate one
from the processor. Using a new distribution will help.

I haven't had any personal experience with the quad. What I've heard is
that the extreme (big $$) version isn't worth it unless you absolutely
must have the fastest computer for bragging rights, but the less
expensive ones (like the Q6600 for about $280 or the Q6700 for $545,
current MicroCenter pricing) are worthwhile if your application mix will
take advantage of it (multitasking or multithreaded apps). Although the
Intel quads only offer so-so scaling, 4 cores are still better than two
if you can keep them all working. (On the other hand, the faster
dual-core will probably be better for gaming; an E6750 for $190 or an
E6850 for $280 look sweet.) AMD's new Barcelona will scale better, but
the baseline single-core performance isn't as high except perhaps in
scientific computing, because its floating-point performance is very high.

Intel will have true quad-core processors (four cores on one chip rather
than two chips in an MCM) next year, and those will be faster and scale
better. But isn't that always the way?

believed to be clean.