Re: quad cores?

 On Monday 01 October 2007 09:40:05 am Stephen Adler wrote:
> What motherboard/chip set are you using?

Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
        Product Name: D975XBX2

> I just looked up the pricing of the cpu's at my local PC shop...
>
> http://www.tcponline.com/Processor_Intel.htm
>
> Is the core 2 quad 3GHz at $1.2K worth it?

I'd have to emphatically say hell no.

> Or should I get the Core 2
> Dual 3GHz, 1333Mhz FSB going for $0.3K. my rule of thumb is that most of
> the bottle necks are in memory bandwidth so its worth putting money into
> the max memory bandwidth you can get.

The sweet spot right now seems to be the Q6600 or so, which is a 2.4GHz
quad-core for somewhere around $300 as well (yep, $278 @ newegg). I'd
probably go with that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017