Re: hdtv purchase now or later?

 Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> hdtv purchase now or later?

Well, one good excuse for not buying in to HDTV now is DRM. The current
situation is that you'll be pretty limited in what you can do with HDTV
- what you can use to tune it in and what you can use to record it.

Although there isn't any indication that the situation will be any
better later.

In theory, if you convince enough people to sit out HDTV due to DRM, the
industry would make corrections, but consumers are too accepting of what
is offered to them for that to happen.

As I've mentioned before, the most likely path to DRM-free HDTV in my
opinion is an open IPTV standard, bypassing most of the current industry
players, and allowing content providers and consumers to connect up
directly.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro