Re: hdtv purchase now or later?

 On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:22:28 -0700
"Kristian Erik Hermansen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Assume that demand remains constant and supply increases.  By your own
> statement, prices come down.  In such a scenario, again by your own
> statement, this will increase demand, due to lower prices.  This
> contradicts your original statement that supply does not affect
> demand, since we began with the assumption that supply increases.
> Thus, there must be some correlation between supply affecting demand!

I think you misunderstand demand. In a pure market there is a supply
curve and a demand curve. If supply goes up, prices will come down and
more product will be sold, but that does not affect the demand curve.
In general, you lower prices, you will sell more product, but your
incentive to sell that product will be reduced because your profit
margin is lower. Every economic book talks about an anomaly that
occurred in England a few hundred years ago when the price of wheat
went up, and at the same time so did sales of wheat. This contradicted
the supply-demand curve. But, what really happened was that wheat was a
necessity. When the prices went up, people could not afford beef or
pork, so the sales of beef and pork went down and wheat went up. The
scenario I see for 2009 is that the suppliers will try to affect demand
by doomsday advertising. You need a new TV because your old analog TV
won't work any longer. That advertising caused perception affects
demand, so demand goes up in Nov. 2008. Prices will remain relatively
constant, possibly sneak up a bit. After the Christmas season, the
suckers are pretty much out of the market, and the traditional post
holiday sales will begin. Prices will start to come down, as they
always do at this time of the year, but analog TVs will continue to
work until mid-Feb. There will be some initial rush in Feb. and March
as people's TVs no longer work. Some will get set top boxes. By the end
of March, this demand should then subside causing a bit of oversupply.
At this point, prices will come down.

So, I suspect that the worst time to buy is between Nov. 2008 and March
2009. After that the normal seasonal influences will be at work, and
prices will fall and new models with features that only MIT PHDs can
utilize will come out.

--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group