Dell's "Open" Software

 I just bought a Dell Inspiron 530 with Ubuntu already loaded on it. In the
couse of exploring various (perfectly reasonable) problems, with good
technical support from Dell, I learnt that the hard drive restore CD that
Dell supplies only restores some of the partitions on the hard drive. There
are two partitions, (sda1 and sda2 I believe) that contain diagnostic
software, and sda3, which conains the boot directory, that are not restored,
so if you destroy them by reformating the drive and loading another
operating system you cannot restore them, and Dell, as a matter of company
policy, will not support their restoration. They also will not support the
restoration of the boot sector.

The boot configuring system they use is grub, and the technical support
person said that it is possible for an experienced user to restore the boot
sector himself, but they will not support him.

As a practical matter the diagnostic software is also available on the
restore CD, but they do not support its reinstallation on the hard drive.

For obvious practical reasons I have not verified this for myself, so some
of the details may not be correct, but I believe the essentials are correct.

This seems to be an even harsher attitude towards users than Microsoft's!

Doesa nyone have anything useful or constructive to add?

believed to be clean.