Re: FIOS installation in the house

 Derek Atkins wrote:
> "Mark J. Dulcey" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> The vast majority of HDTV sets and tuners CAN'T handle QAM, encrypted
>> or not. HDTVs are only legally required to have tuners for 8VSB (aka
>
> Eh?  My Sony KDL-40XBR2 (purchased May 2007) can handle QAM.
>
> Hmm.  Was I just lucky?

Handling QAM is a new feature. You have a new HDTV, and a high-end set
at that. The inexpensive ones that are selling in droves at Micro Center
and BJ's mostly don't have QAM tuners, nor does most of the installed
base. That will probably change with time, however, once the chip
industry shifts over production to multi-standard tuner chips.

believed to be clean.