Re: OLPC XO ("$100 laptop") available to public

 >> BBC News tells me:
>>   http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6994957.stm
>>
>>   Computer enthusiasts in the developed world will soon be able to get
>>   their hands on the so-called "$100 laptop".

At the last Boston Perl Mongers meeting we had a demo of a near
production OLPC by one of the software developers on the project (who is
a Boston.pm member).

Most of the UI is written in Python with the source available to the
students for hacking. They plan to make the distribution available to
outside developers so you can play around with it without the hardware,
but I tend to think the hardware will have much more hacker appeal than
the software.

The hardware is smaller, thinner, and lighter than I was expecting. And
of course has super low power consumption. Should make a great hacking
platform.

I told the speaker about BLU and encouraged him to do a presentation for
us. He's as bit tied up with the rush to get the units into production,
so it might be 3 or 6 months before that happens.

>>   The G1G1 scheme, as it is known...

I thought it was Buy 2, Get 1 (B2G1).

  -Tom

--