Re: FIOS installation in the house

 Doug wrote:
> The misses is worried about the kind folks "pulling wires" inside the
> house to get the copper for resale.  They say they must be able to get
> inside all the units.  From my reading, it sounds like the exercise is
> all about installing the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) box, which
> needs power and a backup and a patch of wall to live in.\
Correct (I've just had the works installed).

> Does a FIOS installation involve touching any of the wires inside the
> house?  I argued that they would do absolutely nothing to our POTS
> (plain old telephone service).  Those twisted pairs of wires stay in
> place, no one from Verizon would get near them.  We have Comcast
> service for our phone, and she is concerned the Verizon people will
> rip out wires inside the home that Comcast needs.
I actually re-ran all of my wiring through my basement in anticipation
of the install (the cable company had run all of the coax around the
permimiter, which looked like crap). They do not touch any of the
internal wiring unless you ask them to, and then it's at the discretion
of the installed. Basically, they are just replacing your line from the
street with fiber, and then installing the ONT. The ONT has terminations
  for phone, network, and cable (coax), although mine uses the coax for
the router. They include a wireless router which you can get the
password to (if you ask).

> If we were to order phone service from Verizon, then they connect the
> ONT to any jack, and that would make the phone "live".  If we ordered
> a data line, I'd have to get an ethernet cable to the ONT.  If we get
> TV, that would involve connecting a coaxial cable to our internal
> coaxial cables.  If we ordered nothing, then we have something to add
> to the resale value of the condo.
As I said, I had already pre-wired everything, but basically they can
connect the ONT to any of the existing phone jacks and you'll be live on
all of them (as the line should connect to the network terminal block as
all the rest do). there are 2 phone jacks on the ONT, I assume for a 2nd
line (although you could probably just get vonage or something).

Note: the installer will remove your regular phone hard line to the
street during the install. I assume that this is to make it more
difficult to go back, as Verizon really hates those copper lines (from
what I hear it's a huge maintenance issue for them every time it rains).
In today's day of cell phone proliferation, I didn't see it as an issue,
though.

> One thing I am not clear on: the TV service.  Is that coaxial inside
> the house?  I know that it will only be digital signals.  Are there
> digital->analog boxes?

It's actually both. You get a box for each TV at around 5-6 dollars a
month, or you can just connect direct for analog. The boxes manage all
of the digital, and will output analog for regular TVs, but also has
composite and optical. I have 2 of my sets with boxes and one without
(my Hauppauge card is just analog). I haven't really done much to see
what channels are available on analog, though.
Grant M.
--
Grant Mongardi
Senior Systems Engineer