Re: FIOS installation in the house

 Dan Ritter wrote:
> VZ does not deliver any analog channels at all...

Not true. The broadcast channels are provide in analog form that is
compatible with existing cable ready TVs and VCRs. See:

http://policyblog.verizon.com/policyblog/blogs/policyblog/czblogger1/269/fios-engineer-answers-your-questions-ii.aspx

(See the 5th question down.)

If you have a modern TV with a QAM digital tuner, you can also get the
broadcast channels in standard and high definition, plus a couple of
other channels, so I hear.

But practically speaking, unless you're satisfied with just the
broadcast channels, you'll end up needing a set-top-box. (Which is why
I'm avoiding FIOS for now.)

Doug wrote:
> The misses is worried about the kind folks "pulling wires" inside the
> house to get the copper for resale.

I'd recommend having someone present while they do their work. It's your
house. If they attempt to do something you don't like, stop them.

> ...all about installing the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) box...
> Does a FIOS installation involve touching any of the wires inside the
> house?

I've read that for Multi Dwelling Units (MDUs), which your condo may or
may not qualify as, they prefer to install multi-user ONTs in a central
location and use existing copper wiring to go to the individual units.
They install ONTs at the units only as a last resort. (Poke around at
the URL above to find the source of this info.)

Regardless of where the ONT ends up, everything I've read indicates that
they leave the in-house wiring untouched.

As others have mentioned, they do typically remove the external copper
wiring in residential installations, unless you request that they do
not, which I'd highly recommend doing.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro