Re: FIOS installation in the house

 On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 04:03:47PM -0400, Doug wrote:

> The misses is worried about the kind folks "pulling wires" inside the
> house to get the copper for resale.  They say they must be able to get
> inside all the units.  From my reading, it sounds like the exercise is
> all about installing the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) box, which
> needs power and a backup and a patch of wall to live in.

Yes.

> Does a FIOS installation involve touching any of the wires inside the
> house?  I argued that they would do absolutely nothing to our POTS
> (plain old telephone service).  Those twisted pairs of wires stay in
> place, no one from Verizon would get near them.  We have Comcast
> service for our phone, and she is concerned the Verizon people will
> rip out wires inside the home that Comcast needs.

They might, though they're not supposed to. VZ will certainly
disconnect copper from your house to the pole, and there are
documented cases of their contractors pulling more than they
should.

> One thing I am not clear on: the TV service.  Is that coaxial inside
> the house?  I know that it will only be digital signals.  Are there
> digital->analog boxes?

Yes. Every television needs a cable box; VZ does not deliver any
analog channels at all, and your cable-ready TV will not be
exempt. All the channels except must-carry will be encrypted,
too.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.

believed to be clean.