Re: MythTV storage

 David Kramer wrote:
> I have an irrational fear of RAID, borne out of the fact that I'm 70%
> Software Engineer 30% SysAdmin, so I have some pretty big holes in my
> knowledge in that area, and also because I've seen enough recovery
> horror stories...

I'd recommend getting your feet wet with RAID1. Even if you are
meticulously thorough at understanding a technology before using it, it
should only take you about an hour to read through the various how-tos
and 10 minutes or less to do the actual setup. They've done a good job
of making RAID setup simple and painless.

RAID5 is only trivially more complex to set up, but it is a compromise
technology - it increases the difficulty of recovery from multiple drive
failures, but improves reliability if you require a multi-drive file system.

>> Although for those on Ubuntu, supposedly you
>> can get packaged nightly builds from the Mythbuntu[1] guys.
>>
>> 1. http://www.mythbuntu.org/
>
> My situation is way too complicated for that kind of solution...

The above packages will run on stock Ubuntu. You don't need to run the
specialized Mythbuntu distribution.

I'm running Ubuntu Fiesty and will probably switch over to the Mythbuntu
packages in order to get storage groups. (I was going to do it as I was
upgrading to support Schedules Direct, as it was taking forever for the
updates to appear in the regular Ubuntu repository, but they finally
showed up last Friday, about a week late and with only a few days of
scheduling data left.)

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro