Re: Motherboard stupidity of the day

 Jonathan D. Arnold / Daemon Dancing wrote:
> David Kramer wrote:
> But I didn't have any problem with Windows. It installed XP just fine.

I stand corrected.  I didn't notice that in your previous email

>> Yeah, lots of comments on the one IDE slot, and the fact that it's so
>> far down on the board that a lot of people had to find longer cables or
>> move their drive down.
>
> Yup, I had that problem too, especially in the first case I installed it in,
> an older, very tall tower. But most new MBs seem to come with only one IDE
> slot these days.

True.  I usually go for mid-side towers.  I'm using an Antec Sonata case
now.  Nice and quiet.  Not sure what I'll use for the new computer.
This one was good, but it was expensive, and not quite as "whisper
quiet" as advertised.  Good airflow, though.  I haven't done the numbers
myself, but I've seen people putting 750w power supplies with processors
on this level, and that's gonna throw off some heat and noise.

>> I expect if I get this board, it would finally push me towards SATA, at
>> least for the big honkin' data drive (or two) for MythTV, etc.
>
> Yup, that's what I did. I picked up a 250gb SATA with the rest of the parts.

Before I decide on one 750GB or so drive or two 500GB drives, I have to
read up on MythTV storage groups, which I haven't tried yet.  If I can't
use that to put content across two drives, then I'll get one big drive.
  Two drives would be better performance and lower risk.

believed to be clean.