Parallel video encoding

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> On 8/30/07, Matthew Gillen <me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>  Disk I/O will completely eclipse any context-switching penalty, and even
>
> I've got too many gigs of memory...let's say I MMAP the file, eh?
> Will that help me out :-)  Do you have experience with using mmap in
> mencoder?  I went through the man page, but the mmapping support
> doesn't appear to be for the entire video itself, but for parts of the
> video when passing it to other apps...

Sounds like an interesting idea.  I have no experience in that dept.

If you're going for fastest time of the overall operation though, I'm not sure
that doing that would buy you much, since to be fair you'd have to include
both the time to do the mmapping of input and un-mmapping of output in the
overall time to encode the video.

Matt

believed to be clean.