Parallel video encoding

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> Let's say I have a box with a multitude of CPU cores on multiple
> physical CPUs and i wanted to utilize mencoder to gain maximal total
> CPU usage.  Any ideas?  I am not sure that mencoder is fully
> multi-threaded, and even if so, it can only run on one physical CPU at
> a time, right?
>
> $ time $(for i in $(find . -type f | grep -i foo); do mencoder "$i"; done)
>
> Can you think of a way to make this exec all in parallel,

I'm a makefile junkie, so I'd write a makefile with some generic rules, then
use make's job server to launch the right number of concurrent jobs (and it
will launch a new job when one finishes to keep the target number running).
You could then time the whole thing via:
 $ time make -j8   # supposing you have 8 processors

I'm sure there's a way to do it with bash's job control though...

believed to be clean.