VMWare again

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:44:31 -0400
"Kristian Erik Hermansen" <kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 8/26/07, Derek Atkins <warlord-3s7WtUTddSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Historically VMware has had trouble bridging to a wireless device.
> > I don't know if it's been fixed now, but think about it:  the way
> > bridging works is by "faking" a new MAC address on the network.
> > But for Wireless devices, the mac address is part of the association,
> > so vmware would need to associate to the AP, which is probably doesn't
> > know how to do on its own.
> >
> > So I wouldn't expect bridging to work to a wireless device.
>=20
> I have been bridging VMware to wireless devices for many years, so
> that is not the issue :-)  Generally, VMNet0 is your first bridged
> interface (eth0), VMNet1 is your Host-Only configuration interface,
> and if you have another interfeace, VMNet2 is bridged to your wireless
> device (eth1/wlan0/etc).  You can configure this using
> vmware-config.pl if you like...
>=20
> However, your wireless may be flaky perhaps?

I was able to bridge on vmnet8 (2-7 were not configured).
But, going back to NAT, I changed the setting in Real Player itself to
try to use http rather than rtsp. It seems that it was having trouble
reassembling the rtsp packets. In any case, it does appear that the
problem is solved. In any case, lots of tweaking, but everything
appears to work now.=20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9