HP Laserjet 4100N

"Mark J. Dulcey" <mark-OGhnF3Lt4opAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>   Jerry Feldman wrote:
>   > Someone here just tossed out a Laserjet 4100N. My question does not
>   > have anything to do with Linux, but with paper feed. She apparently
>   > threw it out because it was prone to jamming. My hands are greasy from
>   > BBQ, but I was wondering what kind of experience others have had with
>   > this printer. Also, what about 3rd party toner refills or cartridges.
>   > HP cartridges are about $100 apiece list.
>
>   Many of the HP printers start to jam when the rollers wear out.
>   Fortunately, it is possible to buy replacement parts reasonably cheaply;
>   check eBay. I did a full roller replacement on a LaserJet 4+ for about
>   $25, and it's been working happily since. (Yes, I probably could have
>   gotten another used LJ4+ for that amount of money, but the new/old one
>   might have had the same roller problem.)

The exit roller on my HP6P didn't just wear, it got all soft and
gummy.  It was leaving tracks on the paper.  Not the sort of thing you
could hope to fix by running a cleaner pad through.  I was able to
replace the roller (and wrote up the process here:
http://jrv.oddones.org/6p/6p.html).  Hopefully HP had fixed their
material problems by the time they were building the 4100N.

                    - Jim Van Zandt

believed to be clean.