Single sign-on help requested

I have a RHEL5 Server and some dual-boot XP/CentOS 5 systems (Linux systems all
64-bit).   All Linux is out-of-box, with all packages, minus international
languages, installed.  No patching has been done.

On the server, I selected system-config-authentication and enabled LDAP for
User Information, Kerberos, LDAP, and SMB for Authentication, and Shadow and
MD5 Passwords, along with Authenticate system accounts by network services for
Options.

All machines are on an isolated LAN, with no DNS server (I could always enable
and configure DNS on the server if it helps the cause).

I also don't know if it matters, but the server is running the virtualization
kernel (xen), but the clients are not.

I only have LDAP service enabled on the server.   Kerberos services are enabled
on both client and server.

I tweaked the LDAP and Kerberos settings using the CentOS/RH GUIs, and have the
clients looking to the RH box for authentication.

I also have the firewall enabled, but am letting kerberos and ldap ports
through as tcp.

During a login test, /var/log/messages on the client showed:

lin1 gdm[pid]: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://192.168.1.100:
Can't contact LDAP server

lin1 gdm[pid]: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server (sleeping 32 seconds)...

lin1 dbus-daemon: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://192.168.1.100:
Can't contact LDAP server

lin1 dbus-daemon: dss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server...

lin1 xfs: ...

During boot time, Starting system message bus: [long pause] then error messages
about DB_CONFIG and /var/lib/ldap, the usual cannot find DB_CONFIG in
/var/lib/ldap, showing the example.com instead of my customized ldap settings,
etc.

I've checked openldap.org, but I figured if the configuration appears to be
simplified via an included GUI, I shouldn't have much trouble gettigns things
going.

Anyway, what am I missing?   Anything special RH 5 is doing compared to the
openldap docs?

Both servers have been rebooted since adding the respective ports in the
firewall.

The goal is a to permit my test user, created on the server, to sit at a
workstation, boot into either Linux or XP, and get their home directory.

Ideally, the server only needs to consist of one account for them, which they
get upon login on the workstation.

I want to highly restrict _any_ third-party tools/apps/etc.   I will be happy
to take suggestions and leads, but I want to try and rely on what RH has
provided.

Thanks for any insight/help.

Scott

believed to be clean.