HP Laserjet 4100N

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Someone here just tossed out a Laserjet 4100N. My question does not
> have anything to do with Linux, but with paper feed. She apparently
> threw it out because it was prone to jamming. My hands are greasy from
> BBQ, but I was wondering what kind of experience others have had with
> this printer. Also, what about 3rd party toner refills or cartridges.
> HP cartridges are about $100 apiece list.

Many of the HP printers start to jam when the rollers wear out.
Fortunately, it is possible to buy replacement parts reasonably cheaply;
check eBay. I did a full roller replacement on a LaserJet 4+ for about
$25, and it's been working happily since. (Yes, I probably could have
gotten another used LJ4+ for that amount of money, but the new/old one
might have had the same roller problem.)

I have had good luck with remanufactured cartridges for my LaserJet 4+
from Print Country (http://www.printcountry.com ); they cost about $50
each, half of what the HP cartridges cost. They also have remanufactured
cartridges for the 4100; they're more expensive at $65, but still
cheaper than the HP cartridges (the high capacity ones are about $130).

believed to be clean.