Ubuntu wierdness

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 09:42:30AM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> > Possibly. I'll test it later when I get home. I thought I had actually
> > used that too. I actually had set both the root and my user's password
> > to the same as I was going to give the system to someone else. But,
> > being used to running SuSE (KDE) and RHEL 4 (GNOME), I was unaware that
> > Ubuntu defaulted to using sudo.
>
> As an unintended topic of interest; what are peoples thoughts on
> enabling or disabling various security features (in this case ubuntu)
> when they give these machines to people are are not experienced with
> computers?

I admin my father's computer from 350 miles away.

He has sudo privileges, but not the root password. So far he has
not ventured to use sudo except for procedures that we have
already discussed and he has written down.

I expect that a more adventurous user might dig themselves into
trouble more often, but they might learn more, too.

-dsr-

--

believed to be clean.