From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
Of John Abreau
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 11:26 AM
To: Jerry Feldman
Cc: discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: VMWare again

I was helping one fo the guys at work with VMware on Friday; it was the
first time I tried Workstation on a Windows XP host; I normally run it
with a Linux host. Whenever he took the focus off of VMware to do other
things, we found that VMware just stopped; it didn't continue running in
the background the way it does on a Linux host.

Also, I gave VMware Server a try last week; I have a server for rsync
backups that's essentially idle during the workday, so I installed
vmware server there to try it out. Running it on a separate machine gave
it much better performance than running Workstation on my laptop, much
more so that I had expected.

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> For reasons that my wife must have Windows XP, I will be installing
> Windows XP this evening. (Actually, someone else will install it for
> me since I don't have a copy). I then plan to install either VMWare
> Player of VMWare server and install Ubuntu as a guest OS initially,
> and possibly Gentoo as another guest or to replace Ubuntu.
>
> Both Player and Server should work in this context, but my thought is
> I'll get better performance out of Player. Any thoughts on this?

John Abreau
IT Manager
Zuken USA
238 Littleton Rd., Suite 100
Westford, MA 01886
T: 978-392-1777            F: 978-692-4725
M: 978-764-8934
E: John.Abreau-3flU0AWMlV4AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org  W: www.zuken.com

believed to be clean.