Facebook group, LinkedIn

Cole Tuininga wrote:
> ...I created a "GNHLUG" group on Facebook...

Similarly, I believe John Abreau created the Facebook group "Boston
Linux & Unix" for BLU. Not being a Facebook user I haven't looked into
it yet.

Bill Ricker wrote:
> However, Linked In seems to be the place for experienced professionals
> to network.
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux

Agreed.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/tommetro

Though I still don't get the impression that LinkedIn really "gets" it.
First they placed restriction on access to profiles - requiring visitors
register before they can view a profile. That's just stupid, as it
discourages members from using LinkedIn to self-promote, and in turn
promote LinkedIn. Fortunately they have since corrected that deficiency.

Another problem is the way they support groups. Most other sites let you
freely set up groups, and the site gains the benefit of being promoted
to the group, and gaining members. When I last looked into this a few
years ago, LinkedIn charged groups a fee for this. Checking again:

"LinkedIn for Groups"
http://www.linkedin.com/static?key=groups_info

It says "Sorry, we are not able to accept new group requests now. We are
making some backend changes to improve LinkedIn for Groups."

Though the current FAQ makes no mention of fees and implies that any
reasonably qualifying group will be accepted:

   Can any group join LinkedIn?

   LinkedIn for Groups is designed for groups with an established
   affinity between its members. LinkedIn reserves the right to not
   accept applications from groups that do not have an existing member
   base or affinity, or that do not serve a business or professional
   purpose.

I put in a request to be notified when LinkedIn for Groups is re-opened.
We'll see...

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro