mp3 editor?

I have a Mac G3 running 10.4 and a free mp3 encoder called Audio Recorder which
has done a great job of capturing music from older albums and cassettes.

What I'd like to do is allow Audio Recorder to capture an entire side of an
album or tape, then use something else to edit out each song to their
respective mp3 files.   Thus, instead of having to keep hitting stop, play,
rewind, etc, waiting for all the gaps between songs and baby-sitting the
recording session, just let each side of an album or tape play out.

What free or low-cost mp3 tools are available for such editing?

I have an Ubuntu 7.04 desktop sitting next to the Mac.

Thanks.

Scott

believed to be clean.