survey results: reasons for choosing a database

On 8/9/07, Ted Roche <tedroche-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I learned in the days of selling Amigas that the technically superior
> solution wasn't always the winner in the horse race :)

I agree and have seen this from many sides, including externally as a
consumer, and also internally as a developer.  Microsoft is still the
winner, but the "technical" aspect is debatable.  Microsoft has way
too much money.

Why can't we all rise up and replace the giant with Linux on both the
servers and desktops?  Why don't we jazz up the Ubuntu slickness,
start selling an Ubuntu-variant for $2500 per license, and then call
it Enterprise Ready?  The main infrastructure component holding back
Linux in large corporations, from what I have seen, are Active
Directory and Shared Calendaring.  This is what executives want.  If
they cannot do shared calendaring, the game is over.  Zimbra may solve
this.  But people still want Active Directory also.  Can we brainstorm
towards a solution?  I don't think we will find it the first time, but
start the discussion and let's see where it ends up...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen

believed to be clean.